Border Police is the public administration body under the Ministry of Internal Affairs carrying out duties and implementing state policy in the field of integrated border management, preventing and combating illegal migration and cross-border crime.
Competences of the Border Police are regulated by Chapter III, article 6 of the Law No. 283 as of 28.12.2011 on Border Police:
1. In the field of border surveillance and border checks, Border Police:
- shall not admit illegal changing of the state border;
- shall ensure maintenance of the border regime, border zone regime, regime and public order in the border crossing points;
- shall carry out border control and authorize crossing of the state border of the Republic of Moldova to persons and means of transport, in cooperation with other public authorities and according to the legislation;
- shall ensure record, including automated record, of persons and means of transport crossing the state border;
- shall not allow entry in and exit from the Republic of Moldova of persons and means of transport who/which, according to the legislation, are forbidden to entry in the Republic of Moldova, do not meet the conditions of entry in the Republic of Moldova or are temporarily not authorized to exit the Republic of Moldova;
- shall participate, within the scope of competence, in ensuring international law enforcement at the border, in concluding border-related treaties, as well as in the border representative activity;
- shall participate, within the scope of competence, in implementing the International Sanitary Regulation;
- shall issue visas, in exceptional cases, in border crossing points in accordance with the legislation.
2. In the field of combating illegal migration and cross-border crime, Border Police:
- shall carry out prevention, detection and combating of illegal migration and other cross-border crime related to illegal movement of persons and vehicles, shall establish contraventions related to illegal stay of persons and illegal crossing of the state border by persons and means of transport, and shall conduct special investigation activities;
- shall not authorize entry of foreigners in the Republic of Moldova, according to the legislation;
- shall ensure control over migration in state border crossing points.
2. In the field of promoting the policy on combating illegal migration, integrated border management and management of information systems on data record, Border Police:
- shall participate in drafting and implementing reform policies;
- shall participate in elaborating draft laws and other normative acts related to the area of activity, shall approve institutional normative acts;
- shall manage and develop integrated information systems, gather, store, process, use and exchange information with other authorities in the view of performing its duties;
- shall cooperate with central and local public administration authorities, and other institutions regardless of type of ownership and legal form of their organization;
- shall provide assistance and services to citizens including by providing information on crossing the state border by persons and means of transport, as well as other services in areas set up by the Government, complying with the law;
- shall ensure enforcement of provisions of conventions, treaties, agreements and protocols in the border-related fields signed between the Republic of Moldova and other states, communities of states, international or regional organizations;
- shall ensure cooperation in all relevant fields with counterparts of neighbouring countries, other states or communities of states in accordance with agreements to which the Republic of Moldova is a party;
- shall coordinate, jointly with the Customs Service, the activity of public authorities in the field of integrated state border management.
4. In carrying out the tasks assigned, Border Police has the following obligations:
- shall not authorize crossing of the state border through border crossing points to persons who do not hold valid documents or who violated the legislation regulating entry, exit, transit and stay on the territory of the Republic of Moldova;
- shall detain, at the request of relevant authorities, wanted persons in cases when they are trying to avoid criminal investigation or criminal liability, and shall detain persons in other cases provided by law;
- shall ensure authorization of crossing the state border including in a simplified way, in accordance with the provisions of the treaties concluded with neighbouring countries and the law;
- shall ensure authorization of crossing the state border for rescue and recovery teams in emergency cases generated by accidents, catastrophes and natural disasters, in accordance with the provisions of international treaties to which the Republic of Moldova is a party, as well as of the legislation in force;
- shall accompany means of transport and place patrols inside them in order to exclude the possibility of embarkation/debarkation of persons before/after border check;
- shall stop, check and detain means of transport in order to hinder violation of the state border regime, border zone regime and border crossing points’ regime in the area of responsibility, and in case of border operations – outside this zone.
5. Aiming to ensure prevention and combating of cross-border crime including trafficking in human beings, organization of illegal migration and illegal crossing of the state border, smuggling (outside state border crossing points), forgery and fraudulent use of documents, Border Police, in accordance with the legislation, shall establish and examine contraventions, perform forensic expertise of travel documents, carry out special investigation measures.
6. Border Police shall carry out its tasks within the border zone and state border crossing points.